In vitro transcription kits & other RNA reagents

Kenneth Kao kkao at morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Thu Jun 27 07:26:31 EST 1996

Donald Chun Kit Wong (dcwong at unixg.ubc.ca) wrote:
: We are going to begin to do some in situ hybridization in our lab and
: need to ask for some advice.

: We are going to do in vitro transcription to make RNA probes from cDNA
: inserted in plasmid. We have seen several kits from companies, eg.
: Stratagene, Ambion, Boehringer Mannheim, etc. Has anyone found whether
: one is better than the others?

We routinely make synthetic RNA for injection into cells, RNAase
protection assays and whole mount in situ digoxigenin probes. None of the
kits work as well as when we assemble the reactions ourselves. In fact,
we had to abandon using Promega's Ribomax kit for RNA injection into
embryos because we were getting non-specific effects due to insufficient
capping of messages. I can e-mail or FAX you our protocols if you are
interested.

: We have also seen other RNA products, eg. RNaseZap, dip sticks to detect
: RNase in solutions, etc. and in situ hybridization kits. Is there any of
: these that are useful or recommended to be used?

: Any other suggestions / tips will be appreciated.

: Donald Wong
: Pathology, Univ. of B.C.
: Vancouver, Canada