Primer storage

Paul N Hengen pnh at kaylor.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Jun 27 14:01:29 EST 1996

Kenneth Kao (kkao at morgan.ucs.mun.ca) wrote:

: Has anybody had problems storing oligonucleotide primers? We have found
: that storing PCR primers at -20C gives variable results and have had at
: least one suggestion to store them at 4C. Is it possible that repeated
: cycles of freeze-thawing degrades them? Or are we hallucinating?

You are not dreaming...many people have said this is so, but there is
very litle evidence that it is due to freeze-thaw cycles.

This has been discussed at length on this group. You can read the
review I wrote directly from my homepgae.

@article{Hengen1995Jantibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Wayward {PCR} primers",
volume = "20",
number = "1",
pages = "42-44",
month = "jan",