Lipidex-1000; cholesterol binding assay

simon sbe at biochem.usyd.edu.au
Fri Jun 28 05:20:55 EST 1996

We are trying to use Lipidex-1000 (obtained as a dry powder from
Sigma) to bind 3H-labelled cholesterol as part of a lipid-binding
assay.

We swell the powder in  0.01 M phosphate, wash 5x with MeOH, and then
wash back into phosphate. We find that it does not bind 3H-labelled
cholesterol after this treatment (despite a number of literature
reports claiming that this is possible).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Simon
Dr Simon B Easterbrook-Smith    Phone: (+) 612 351 3905
Department of Biochemistry      FAX: (+) 612 351 4726
University of Sydney            Email: sbe at biochem.usyd.edu.au
Sydney NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA