Rubidium?

Paul N Hengen pnh at kaylor.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Jun 27 14:09:54 EST 1996

petros at wam.umd.edu wrote:

: Hi My name is Peter from University of Maryland.  I came across QIAexpress
: company's protocol for making competent E. Coli cell by using a buffer containg
: 100 mM of Rubidium Chlroride.  I have seen with CaCl2 and other methods
: before but not with RbCl.  Is anybody out there know why?

I don't know why you haven't seen it before ;-)

Anyway, it is an older technique from the Maniatis Cloning Manual days.
I don't know very many people who still do that. You're probably better
to try one of the more widely acclaimed techniques for highly competent
cells like those described on the FAQ list.