nuclear run-on for low abundant RNA

mahayden at med.unc.edu mahayden at med.unc.edu
Fri Jun 28 11:14:16 EST 1996

     I'm currently setting up the nuclear runoff assay in our lab.
You're right that it requires a lot of 32-P, but there is no getting
around that- chemiluminescent methods don't work with this assay.  As far
as the mess is concerned, it is no more than any other transcription or
hybridization technique.  The protocol that I am using is one from the
red book (Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, Unit 4.10).  The
hardest part of the assay, by far, is the isolation of the nuclei.  If
you are using tissue culture cells, you will need at least 5 million
cells.  I typically use 10 million.  This assay is labor intensive
and requires you to wait a couple of days before you know if it worked,
but it is also a very powerful assay.  Good luck!
                                                    M. Hayden