DNA-binding resins

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 28 10:18:01 EST 1996

On Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:51:19 GMT, Peter Chen <pchen at medicine.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>I have talked to a number of people. A concensus appears to be that DNA
>purified from DNA-binding resins (including gel-elution kits) usually has
>low ligation efficiency. Is this true for all (such as Gene Clean gel
>elution kit)?

I routinely use Qiagen's Qiaex gel extraction resin.  It works
very well, and I have excellent ligation efficiencies.  I have
used the GeneClean kit several years ago and my recollection is
that it worked quite well for small DNA fragments, but the
recovery of large DNA fragments (8 kb, 10 kb) was poor.

Ashok
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.                    aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Department of Oncology            University of Wisconsin-Madison

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for
reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."    -- Albert Einstein