DNA-Elution

Michele Normore mnormore at morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Fri Jun 28 12:02:58 EST 1996

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Oliver Berkowitz wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I´m in need for a fast but efficient way of getting a DNA-fragment out of
> a agarose-gel. At present I´m cutting the agarose block out and spin it
> over a Whatman-filter into an Eppendorf-tube. But the amount is very
> poor. Any other and better techniques ??
> Thanks for helping me.

Oliver,

I've been eluting DNA from agarose gels by taking a plug from the band of
interest, adding it to 100uL water, heat at 60-70C for 10 to 30 minutes.
This works if there is no EDTA in your buffer. From the 100uL water/dna
mixture you would have to make a dilution (I used 1:100) and take 1uL for
re-amplification.
If you use EDTA in the buffer you may need some kind of gen clean kit, or
I also use the PCR Preps purification kit from Promega.

Michele