RNA Extraction... ( Still )

Thibaud Le Mouel lemouel at antibes.inra.fr
Fri Jun 28 02:04:44 EST 1996

>I was wondering if the pH of the phenol can affect the efficienty of the
>phenol/chloroform extraction...
>
>I'm still stuck with low 260/280 ratio and was wondering if a lower pH
>value for the phenol could interfere with the RNA and/or the quality of
>the extraction, leading to impurities...
>
>I measured betwwen 6.0 and 6.5 for the phenol when it should have been
>7.6   I think...
>
>Then again, can I trust a pH measure where pH paper is wet with a drop of
>phenol who's so strong...
>
>Thanks for anything that could be related  near or far ...
>--
>Edouard Lauzier, B.Sc.                           elauzier at fse.ulaval.ca
>Physical Activity Science Laboratory       (418) 656-2131 #2929
>(Laval University)  G1K 7P4
>CANADA

Hi,

You can use a pH4.3 or pH7.9 phenol for RNA extraction. I try both and I
think that pH7.9 gives more RNA but in both they are in good quality.
Regards.

******** **       **     ** * Th. Le Mouel  <lemouel at antibes.inra.fr.>  *
   **    **       **** **** * 123, bld F. Meilland   B.P. 2078          *
   **    ******** ** *** ** * 06606 ANTIBES CEDEX    FRANCE             *