cloned mucins

Bradley Turner bsturner at MBCRR.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Jun 28 12:48:17 EST 1996

>To: methods at
>From: Gustavo Nolasco <gnolasco at>
>Subject: cloned mucins
>Date: 24 Jun 1996 11:34:53 +0100
>Sender: lpddist at
>Dear Netters,
>I'm looking for someone who has cloned mucins.
>Please contact me at:	mgravato at
>Thank you
>Maria Joao Gravato
>Universidade do Algarve - UCTA
>Campus de Gambelas
>8000 Faro, Portugal

Dear Maria,

Our group has cloned a portion of a pig gastric mucin gene

Isolation and characterization of cDNA clones encoding
pig gastric mucin.
B Turner et al.
Biochem J 308:89-96, 1995

In addition to ourselves, there are many other groups who have
cloned various mucin genes, a very incomplete list of major groups:

Sandra J Gendler, et al.
Samuel C. Johnson Medical Research Building
Mayo Clinic Scottsdale
13400 East Shea Blvd
Scottsdale, Arizona 85259 USA

Y Kim, JR Gum, N Toribara, et al.
Gastrointestinal Research Laboratory (151M2)
Department of Veteran Affairs Medical Center
University of California at San Francisco
4150 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94121 USA

N Porchet J.-P. Aubert et al.
Unite 377 INSERM
Place de Verdun
F-59045 Lille Cedex, France
Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Biologie Moleculaire
USN A de l'Hopital C. Huriez
CHRU de Lille
F-59037 Lile Cedex France

LA Bobek, M Levine et al.
Department of Oral Biology and Dental Research Institute
112 Foster Hall
School of Dental Medicine
State University of New York at Buffalo
Buffalo, New York 14214 USA

Other Mucins

G Strous (MUC5)
Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
Academic Medical Center
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Laboratory of Cell Biology
AZU HO2.134
University of Utrecht
Hiedelberglaan 100
3584 CX Utrecht, Netherlands

C Timpte,, R Hill et al.(pig submaxillary mucin)
Department of Biochemistry
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710 USA

L Shekels, S Ho et al.(mouse stomach mucin)
Department of Gastroenterology (111-D)
VA Medical Center
1 Veterans Drive
Minneapolis , MN 55417 USA

J Forstner and G Forstner et al.(rat intestinal mucins)
Division of Gastroenterology
Department of Pediatrics
University of Toronto
Research Institute Hospital for Sick Children
Toronto, Canada M5G 1X8

W Hoffman et al.(frog skin mucins)
Max Plank-Institut fur Psychiatrie
Abteilung Neurochemie
Am Klopferspitz 18a
D-82152 Martinsried, Federal Republic of Germany

R Troxler, G Offner(human sublingual mucin MG1)
Department of Biochemistry
Boston University Medical Center
Boston, MA 02118 USA2118 USA

P Denny et al.(mouse submandibular mucin)
Department of Basic Sciences
School of Dentistry
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0641

There are many others.
Some review articles that may be of help in locating other
mucin cloners:

Epithelial Mucin Genes
SJ Gendler, AP Spicer
Ann Rev Physiol 57:607-35, 1995

Mucin genes and the proteins they encode: structure ,
diversity and regulation
JR Gum
Amer J Respir Cell Molec Biol 7:557-64, 1992

Mucin Type Glycoproteins
GJ Strous
Crit Rev Biochem Molec Biol 27(1/2):57-92, 1992

Mucin gene structure and expression: protection vs. adhesion
B van Klinken et al.
Amer J Physiol 269(Gastro 32)G613-G627, 1995

Mucins: Their Structure and biology
various authors-symposium reports
Biochem Soc Transactions 23(4):795-851, 1995 Nov

You might also try posting your request to the BIOSCI-glycobiology
newsgroup at glycosci at or glycosci at  There
may be other/more mucin cloners lurking there.

I hope this helps. If you need further information, contact me.

Brad Turner

		    Bradley Turner
	         Beth Israel Hospital

Harvard Medical School		617-667-1215 phone
Division of Gastroenterology	617-667-2767 fax
Room Dana 536			turner at
330 Brookline Avenue		bsturner at
Boston, MA 02215		bturner at