Paul N Hengen pnh at
Fri Mar 1 12:36:44 EST 1996

vsood at wrote:

: I remember seeing some advice on retrieving DNA from agarose slices via a
: method of freezing the slices and then mashing them, but don't recall the
: details. Does anyone use this method who can refresh my memory? Also, what
: about any EtBr or bromophenol blue (my band runs at the same place as the
: dye front) present in the slice?

author = "R. W. J. Thuring
     and J. P. M. Sanders
     and P Borst",
title = "A freeze-squeeze method for recovering
long {DNA} from agarose gels",
journal = "Anal. Biochem.",
volume = "66",
pages = "213-220",
comment = "removal of DNA from gels",
year = "1975"}

author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Recovering {DNA} from agarose gels",
volume = "19",
number = "9",
pages = "388-389",
month = "sep",
year = "1994"}

The TIBS article can be downloaded from my archive site listed below.

Paul N. Hengen, Ph.D. (pnh at
National Cancer Institute--FCRDC--Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA
phone:(301) 846-5581 fax:(301) 846-5598
Methods FAQ list ->
Anonymous FTP from as file pub/methods/FAQlist
TIBS column archive ->