Mitochondrial DNA extraction?

Anita Gould anita at accord.cco.caltech.edu
Sat Mar 2 00:31:34 EST 1996

   From: kpleyte at post.its.mcw.edu (Kay A. Pleyte)
   Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
   Date: 15 Feb 1996 16:44:09 -0600

	I'm looking for a method for extraction of DNA from mitochondria.  Will
   a plasmid prep. protocol work?  Any suggestions welcome.

   Kay Pleyte
   kpleyte at post.its.mcw.edu

Yes, I've done this on mammalian cells or homogenized tissue (using
resin-based plasmid preps, either Promega or roll-your-own
Celite/silica gel), and it works just fine.  I actually use it for
isolating extrachromosomal circular DNA, but the mitochondrial DNA
(which is much more plentiful) comes along for the ride.  It may be
that you'd get better yield or quality by first doing a mitochondrial
isolation (as Martin Leach suggested) -- I can't speak to that.

Good luck!

-Anita Gould
anita at cco.caltech.edu