Can dessicants be dried in microwave?

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Tue Mar 5 14:11:28 EST 1996

In article <4hg7ph$28q at nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>, dcwong at unixg.ubc.ca says...

>We have been using "DriRite" and silica gel as dessicant. Some bottles
>are sitting around with pink crystals since people never bothered to dry
>them again. Does anyone know if it's possible to dry / rejuvenate these
>in a microwave? Our laboratory ovens don't go up far beyond 100 C. Thanks.
>
>Donald Wong
>Pathology, U of B.C.

I don't think you have to use an oven "beyond 100 C" as you are
drying the water out rather than boiling it.  I leave a pot of silica
gel in an oven kept at 60degC and this dries okay (eventually).
	If you are in a hurry and want to use the microwave then
spread the crystals out thinly on a paper towel and microwave in brief
bursts.  If they start very damp you may have to change the towel.
Be careful as the crystals can get very hot.
	In all cases avoid breathing the dust.

		Happy dessicatin' !

			Bernard
Bernard Murray, Ph.D.