COS-cells

Mike atkinson at gsf.de
Tue Mar 5 05:08:17 EST 1996

From: David L. Haviland, haviland at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU
Date: 4 Mar 1996 11:37:56 -0800
In article <Pine.PMDF.3.91.960304133040.558071516A-100000 at kids.wustl.edu>
David L. Haviland, haviland at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU writes:
>Greetings:
>
>Does anyone have any direct experience with protein expression (cDNA
>constructs) in the COS cells?

My own experience is limited, but in the labs where I grew up there was a
fabled subclone of COS 7 called COS7M. This was supposedly the best
expressor of all. I suspect that as long as you get a good efficiency and
reasonable expression you will be OK with any COS line you choose, the
vector is probably more important. PS we find much better survival when
we transfect with the Boehringer Lipofection reagent instead of DEAE.

PS When I tried to import COS cells into Germany the customs confiscated
them because they were from a protected species under the CITES
convention. Go figure !