rare cutters 10-12 bp exist?

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 08:38:40 EST 1996

In article <gtk10583-0603961147220001 at us5j23.glaxo.com>, "Gary K."
<gtk10583 at glaxo.com> writes
>Nancy,
>
>Sfi I is a 13bp cutter (GGCCN(5)GGCC) and produces 30 kb fragments on
>average in human chromosomes.  You can purchase this enzyme from NEB (No
>affiliation).

Sfi I has an 8 base recognition sequence. the N's in the middle are
'irrelevant'. I have an enzyme BsiY I CCNNNNNNNGG but I would not call
it an 11 base cutter.

An alternative might be to use a methylase first then an RE which
overlaps the methylation site. ie FnuD II methylase the Not I RE gives a
recognition sequence CGCGGCCGC. See the 1995 NEB catalog pp225-227.

Duncan