RNA isolation

DANIEL Y KIM dkim at nmsu.edu
Sun Mar 3 07:45:34 EST 1996

In article <4h2ph8$cvv at mark.ucdavis.edu> ez022056 at rocky.ucdavis.edu (Edward Wang) writes:
>I am looking for a 'quick and easy" RNA isolation protocol.  I plan to do
>RT-PCR on >20 different cell lines.  If anyone knows of such protocol,
>please let me know...

The easiest RNA isolation method I know is the classic Acid Guanidinium
method of P. Chomszynski and N. Sacchi.  This is the basis of most of the
commercial quick RNA preps, and the reagents are easily prepared "at
home".  Using mammalian cells in culture, I can easily isolate small
amounts of RNA from dozens of different cultures (That is, microgram
amounts rather than preparative amounts).  I have also used the same
procedure on plant cells in suspension culture.  Others have shown that
DNA can be isolated from the same prep by modifying the phenol "waste"
afterward.

I believe P. Chomszynski now heads the company making "Trizol" reagent.

Daniel Kim
dkim at nmsu.edu