Clone fingerprinting

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 8 18:29:14 EST 1996

Mr. A.R.J. Curtis wrote:

> I am cloning PCR products (100-600bp), checking for expected insert size
> but have reason to suspect clones may be heterogeneous. I would like to
> fingerprint a number of clones to uncover this variation.
> [stuff deleted]
> Can anyone offer a simple solution?
>
> Thanks
> Andy Curtis

We often screen our mixed PCR products by cloning and restriction digest to
identify clones of the right length followed by "T-tracking" - running sequencing
gels of with just one base (traditionally a T track as back in the old days this
gave a distinctive run of bands with M13mp7). This works best when the inserts
are directionally cloned, or you can use one of the PCR primers used to generate
the clones.

 Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW    : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/andy.html