Light Sensitivity of Tris

Ferland Louis H. ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Fri Mar 8 21:59:34 EST 1996

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, J. Pat Martinez wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 14:08:29 +0100
> From: J. Pat Martinez <martinez at puccini.crl.umn.edu>
> To: methods at net.bio.net
> Subject: Light Sensitivity of Tris
>
> Hi,
>
> A colleague of mine claims that Tris buffers are sensitive to light, and
> he therefore keeps his 1M Tris in the dark.   Has anyone heard of Tris
> being light sensitive?
>
> Pat M.

No. I and everybody around me have used Tris buffers for years, including
1M stock right on the shelf in front of my bench, and have never had any
problem I can relate to Tris lack of stability, including light
sensitivity.

Dr. Louis H. Ferland
Centre de Recherche, Hotel-Dieu de Montreal
Dept de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal
Phone: (514) 843-2757     FAX: (514) 843-2719