Wizard PCR purification from agarose gel

Markku.M Jeltsch jeltsch at csc.fi
Sat Mar 9 03:01:24 EST 1996

On 8 Mar 1996, ruth e.w. walker wrote:

> I am unable to purify my PCR product from the gel using the Wizard kit.
> It works well when I purify directly from the PCR rxn. I use 2% agarose,
> which melts within 4 min at 65C in presence of the resin. Is that too
> long? Too short? What else could be wrong, given that it does work with
> the PCR rxn, done concurrently?
I stopped using the Wizard kit for PCR purification, because of this and
other problems. Instead I use Qiaex beads (with a slightly modified
protocol, that includes a 70% EtOH washing step after the two washings with
the buffer that is provided with the kit). If you still want to use
Wizard I suggest to reduce the %age of your gel if possible to 1.5. That
should be enough even for 150 bp fragments. Or try it with low melting
point agarose.
Apollonkatu 19A14                THE HAARTMAN INSTITUTE
FIN-00100 Helsinki               UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI
e-mail: jeltsch at cypress.csc.fi   P.O.B. 21 (HAARTMANINKATU 3)
phone: -358-0-434 6436 (work)    FIN-00014 HELSINKI
       -358-0-454 3418 (home)
fax: -358-0-434 6448 (work)