Leaky Mini-ProteanII unit.

mdpjr at cc.newcastle.edu.au mdpjr at cc.newcastle.edu.au
Sun Mar 10 22:31:41 EST 1996

We've had the same problem with at least 6 different units.  None have ever failed to leak.  We
'solved' it simply by filling the lower buffer almost to capacity, so that it was the same level
(almost) as the upper electrode buffer.  We simply ignore the 'capillary siphoning' effect you
describe.  Our gels run fine.  Never bothered to complain to BioRad any further.

An unrelated comment on SDS-PAGE:  We are constantly out to save money.  Since the lower
electrode buffer is simply for electrical contact with the gel, we use a cheaper buffer in it.
Simply make up Tris pH 8.8 at about 50 mM, leave out the glycine and SDS.  Saves a few dollars
and is much easier to make up gallons of the stuff (no foaming etc).

Phil