Large scale low melt extraction

Mike Holbrook holbrook at mcb.umass.edu
Mon Mar 11 11:44:49 EST 1996

Does anyone have a suggestion for extraction >=300 ug of DNA from a
lowmelt agarase gel?  We generally have a large slice of agarose which
is difficult to dissolve (2+ hrs at 65 C). We have tried the Maniatis
version for the extraction and a couple of variations thereof with
limited success.  We get a low yield and use a lot of phenol and spend a
lot of time.  I have considered Qiaex beads but am concerned about the
amount of beads and solutions required for this much DNA (we also will
be doing this frequently so $$ is a consideration as well).  If you have
any ideas please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

Mike