Help! My RNA has solidified!!

wapling at staff.monash.edu.au wapling at staff.monash.edu.au
Tue Mar 12 01:04:11 EST 1996

I have been performing primer extension reactions on RNA extracted from gram
negative bacteria using a standard heated phenol reaction - with TriZol
from Gibco-BRL.

I am using 50ug of RNA in each PE reaction, and I'm finding that adding stop
mix and heating at 80 degrees prior to loading, some (not all) of my
reactions have solidified.

Reheating the reactions breifly will allow them to be taken up into a pipette,
but they solidify almost immediately - usually part way between the pipette
tip and gel!!

 Any suggestions as to why this is happening, and what I can do about it would
be gratefully appreciated.