Large scale low melt extraction

Alexander Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 12 07:13:08 EST 1996

If you are going to do this often, it makes sense to invest in
some sort of an electroelution device. A good alternative is the one
made by Schleicher-Schuell, called "Biotrap". I hope they still make
it! In this device DNA is electroeluted into a small compartment,
created by two different membranes, one with large, the other with
small pores. The process usually takes an overnight run with a 20-cm
long piece, but the DNA comes out clean and concentrated. Now I use
Gelase to prepare my DNA fragments, but this method for some unclear
reason is not scalable beyond a certain point (> 5 ml agarose),
at least in my hands.

Usual disclaimer applies.

Alexander Kraev, PhD                     Internet:    kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch