Mercaptoethanol Shadows

logan david.logan at plant-sciences.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 16:01:58 EST 1996

Frank Taddeo wrote:

>Has anyone been having problems with shadows (bands) around 58-68 kDa on
>silver stained SDS-PAGE when using mercaptoethanol in the sample buffer?
>I've tried several different grades of mercaptoethanol from several
>different companies and I still get these "bands".  Any suggestions as to
>how to get rid of them would be greatly appreciated.

Trick is to get rid of the mercaptoethanol using iodoacetamide, for full
details and methods (I've used it and it works) see:

Beis and Lazou (1990) Removal of artifactual bands assocaiated with the
presence of 2-mercaptoethanol in two-dimensional polyacryamide gel
electrophoresis. Analytical Biochemistry, 190 pp. 57-59.

Can you beat a title like that to answer your prayers?

David C. Logan

*********************************
*	david.logan at plants.ox.ac.uk			*
*	Department of Plant Sciences		*