DNA precipitation?

steve johnson sljohnsn at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 13 16:06:57 EST 1996

Lately when I'm doing a DNA isolation and I add EtOH I don't
get any visible precipitation. After incubating at -20
overnight I get alot of small "flakes".

Now here's the confusing part to me. I had assumed that this
was because the DNA was badly sheared. However, after running
the DNA out on a gel I saw that I had nice high molecular
weight bands. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this might be
happening?

                               Steven Johnson
                               Technical Research Scientist
                               Center for Aquatic Ecology