Yolky DNA

s060965 at AIX1.UOTTAWA.CA s060965 at AIX1.UOTTAWA.CA
Thu Mar 14 15:45:52 EST 1996

Hello,

I'm trying to extract DNA from very early zebrafish embryos (blastula
stages and earlier).  I do the standard Prot. K, SDS, EDTA buffer
digestion ... followed by several phenol extractions, two
phenol/chloroform, and a final chloroform extraction.

When I go to precipitate the DNA using NaAce and isopropanol, yolk
precipitates out of the aqueous extraction.  A mess!!!!

Obviously, this yolk is water soluable, not extracted by the phenols or
disturbed by the Prot K.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this yolk, or a
better method of purifying DNA from early fish embryos.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cristofre Martin
Loeb Institute
Ottawa Civic Hospital