Storage of serum in frost-free freezers?

Jfloring at aol.com Jfloring at aol.com
Thu Mar 14 13:23:47 EST 1996

diehl001 at mc.duke.edu (Eddie Diehl) wrote:

>Does anyone regularly use serum which is stored in frost-free freezers?

Freeze-thaw of serum will cause it to precipitate irreversibly.  No big deal
if you don't mind that the protein content and composition will be different
each time you take out a new aliquot. Most people do mind, because serum is
still a necessary and evil variable in most culture work ("You can't
reproduce my results?  Too bad, should have used my lot of serum.... no, I
can't spare any....")
Cheers, Jeanne
Jfloring at aol.com