Agarose and preparative gels...

Anthony Tomlinson tomlinson at pplros.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 07:53:56 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960312150934.9888A-100000 at verdi> HIRANYA
ROYCHOWDHURY, hroychow at NMSU.EDU writes:
>Subject: Agarose and preparative gels...
>From: HIRANYA ROYCHOWDHURY, hroychow at NMSU.EDU
>Date: 12 Mar 1996 14:21:34 -0800
>>Our lab is trying to compare the prices of agarose from different
>vendors. While we have found BRL to be the cheapest source, the grade we
>are looking at has a sulphate content of 0.35% or less (against the
>comparable grades from Sigma (0.15%) and BioRad (0.1%)). Does anybody
>know if the higher sulphate (albeit negligible) in BRL's agarose may pose
>any problem with DNA prepared off this agarose. We are presently using
>Sigma's and have not had any difficulties with it. I would like to hear
>from somebody who uses BRL's low eeo agarose.

We use the BRL ultrapure agarose routinely and have done so for 3-4 years
now.
We perform the usual gamut of DNA techniques and have suffered no obvious
difficulties. Good luck.

Mike Dalrymple
PPL Therapeutics Ltd
Scotland

P.S. I do not work for, receive compensation from or own shares in...BRL
!!