cracked gels?

Pascal_Bochet Pascal_Bochet at brown.edu
Mon Mar 18 17:21:17 EST 1996

In article <4i96lu$ijs at news.doit.wisc.edu>, Helkor at facstaff.wisc.edu
(Helen Korsmo) wrote:

> Does anyone have a tried and true method for drying high percentage SDS
>gels (>15%) without
> cracks?  I'm using minigels, 1.5mm thick.

The gel craks because it shrinks when the water goes and the gel, stuck to
the paper, cannot retract. If you remove enougth water before you dry the
gel, it won't crak. How do you do this? Simply soak the gel in
alcool/water (ethanol, methanol) before you dry it. You want it to shrink by
an amount rougthly equal to the width of your craks. It do not remember the
reference but there is an article describing this process and as they stated
nicely: "Time (to soak the gel in alcool) was mesured with a ruler."
Pascal Bochet
Pascal_Bochet at brown.edu