Solaris (Unix) on IntelPC

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Tue Mar 19 08:15:47 EST 1996

A few people have asked me for details about Sun's Solaris (Unix)
operating system on Intel PC hardware.  Much of this information can be
found at Sun's Internet servers:

http://www.sun.com
http://www.sun.com/960301/index.textonly.html -- front page skipping java junk
http://www.sun.com/sunsoft/solaris/index.html -- solaris main/sales info
http://access1.sun.com/gateway/solaris.html -- tech info on solaris

The price I got of $99 is for educational institution discount --
ask about that.  Compilers (C/C++, Fortran),
if you want Sun's commercial quality instead of Gnu, are available
for an extra $99, I believe.  See the tech info site for lists of
supported hardware and hardware driver updates, which Sun produces
every few months.

In order to run several operating systems on an Intel PC, I use
System Commander (about $60 from software developer catalogs).  Be aware
that installing more than a couple operating systems on a PC is
an excrutiating, time-expensive process.  Be prepared to reinstall
several times, and even reformat your hard disk a few times.
I have MSWin3/Dos6, MSWin95, MSWinNT, OS/2, Solaris and Linux on
one PC, but it has been very difficult getting these all on.
If there is significant interest out there in details of this, I can
make some of my installation notes available.

I like the new Solaris 2.5 with its Common Desktop Environment (CDE)
user interface quite a bit for an X Window interface.  CDE is
the supposed universal Unix/X interface that many unix vendors
are going to offer.

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu