Qiagen RNeasy: Early precipitate??

Jim Hill jah1 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Mar 19 06:02:15 EST 1996

Hi,

I am attempting to purify RNA from herring embryos. After homogenization
in the lysis buffer I add the 70% EtOH and a precipitate forms. This
precipitate blocks the spin column if the entire solution is applied to
it so I have been spinning down the precipitate and applying the
supernatant to the spin column. Am I blundering? Is the RNA likely to be
in the supernatant or the pellet?? I am currently unable to check the
product of the purification on a gel since I'm sampling in the field.

Any efforts to lay my mind at rest on this issue would be greatly
appreciated.

Jim

Dr James A. Hill,
Gatty Marine Laboratory,