RNase protections assays. Too much salt?

Pamela Norton pnorton at lac.jci.tju.edu
Wed Mar 20 17:43:12 EST 1996

In article <4in49v$7di at reeve.research.aa.wl.com>, Angela Hofstra
<Hofstra at aa.wl.com> wrote:
> Lately we've been having trouble with the last precipitation step in our
> RNase protection assays. We follow the procedure essentially as outlined
> in "Current Protocols in Molecular Biology".  After precipitating in
> ethanol we get lots of white precipitate, which I suspect is largely
> salt.  When we dissolve the pellet in loading buffer and load it on a
> vertical gel the sample rises.

Angela,

   I must confess that I have never seen samples float from high salt, but
I would imagine that this is possible. I have seen them float because the
ethanol has not been removed in entirety.

   Try washing the pellet with 70% ethanol, then re-centrifuge and dry.
The extra step is a nuisance but it should solve your problem.

   Good luck,

      Pam Norton

--
Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Assistant Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at lac.jci.tju.edu