Free Sulphydryl detection

"Marianne Leverone ", BIO leverone at CHUMA.CAS.USF.EDU
Wed Mar 20 11:53:23 EST 1996

Mike:  I have used DNTB to quantify free sulfhydryl groups after
acyl-CoAs have been cleaved with hydroxylamine, pH 7.  It should work for
other sulfhydryl groups:

10 uL 10 mM DTNB
5-50 uL of coumpund being tested

Allow the reaction to react for 30 sec;  add 0.3 ml 0.1 M Potassium
phosphate, pH 8.  Add water to bring final volume to 1.0 mL.

Record Absorbance at 412 nm.  DTNB Coefficient is 13,700 M-1, cm-1.

Reference: Fong and Schulz.  1981.  Methods in Enzymology.  71:390-398.

                                 Marianne Leverone
                                 Univ. of South Florida
                                 Tampa, FLorida