Reply: DN Ligation UV Filter

WSchick at aol.com WSchick at aol.com
Sat Mar 23 19:14:25 EST 1996

In a message dated 96-03-23 14:46:08 EST, pnorton at hendrix.JCI.TJU.EDU (Pamela
Norton) writes:

>  The former is certainly true. The UV light slowly damages the glass
>filter that lies atop the bulbs. This results in less and less UV reaching
>the sample over time. I believe that buffers and salts can etch the glass,
>and also tend to decrease the transmitted light.
>
>I think the term is solarizes?  Filters made a few decades ago were
notorious for reducing UV througput.  The transmission was mostly restored by
baking the glass and reinstalling it in the transilluminator.  Newer (when?)
filters are made to last much longer.  but if your bands are getting harder
to see, then call the supplier to see what temperature to try baking your
filter at before ordering an expensive replacement!

Walt Schick