Reply: DN Ligation

Pamela Norton pnorton at lac.jci.tju.edu
Sat Mar 23 13:33:35 EST 1996

In article <DoMMJr.9q6 at ncifcrf.gov>, pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N
Hengen) wrote:

> : Did you change the lamps of your UV-Transiluminator lately? New and
> : stronger lamps might damage your DNA while cutting the slices out of
> : the gel.
>
> Is it that the lamps change over time, becoming less strong, or is
> it that the newer lamps on the market are stronger? I'm curious
> why replacing the lamp would cause more damage to your DNA?

snip
> Methods FAQ list -> http://www-lmmb.ncifcrf.gov/~pnh/
> Anonymous FTP from ftp.ncifcrf.gov as file pub/methods/FAQlist
> TIBS column archive -> http://www-lmmb.ncifcrf.gov/~pnh/readme.html

   The former is certainly true. The UV light slowly damages the glass
filter that lies atop the bulbs. This results in less and less UV reaching
the sample over time. I believe that buffers and salts can etch the glass,
and also tend to decrease the transmitted light.

      Pam Norton

P.S. Nice web site, Paul; thanks!

--
Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Assistant Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at lac.jci.tju.edu