Northern blots without formaldehyde

Doug Johnson djohnson at oreo.uottawa.ca
Mon Mar 25 17:03:57 EST 1996

I have seen several references to Northern hybridizations in which the
RNA is treated with formaldehyde but the formaldehyde is omitted from
the running buffer. In some cases the authors state that this works
only if the running time is less than some specified time e.g. 3 hours.

I am interested in reducing the amount of formaldehyde I use and would
be very interested in the experiences you out there have had with
omitting formaldehyde. Or in any references you have actually got to
work (as opposed to heard about or read about). Thanks for your time.

djohnson at oreo.uottawa.ca