glycogen as a carrier

Colin Rasmussen colin at fungus.biochem.ualberta.ca
Mon Mar 25 23:16:49 EST 1996

Ari Kahn wrote:

> I found a protocol for extracting DNA from low melting agarose at
> http://research.nwfsc.noaa.gov/protocols.html  In step 6 it asks for 1 ul.
> glycogen as a carrier.  What does this do for the pptn of the DNA?  Is it
> really necessary or will the pptn work without it?

The 1ul is probably 1ul of a 20mg/ml solution (i.e. 20ug). Glycogen in ethanol
precipitates much like DNA and at this amount forms a visible pellet. The glycogen
precipitate also likely traps the DNA in solution as well. The advantage of
glycogen is that it will not affect subsequent reactions.

Colin