glycogen as a carrier

John Dixon jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 26 06:42:44 EST 1996

In article <31576FB1.863 at fungus.biochem.ualberta.ca>,
colin at fungus.biochem.ualberta.ca wrote:

> Ari Kahn wrote:
> >
> > I found a protocol for extracting DNA from low melting agarose at
> > http://research.nwfsc.noaa.gov/protocols.html  In step 6 it asks for 1 ul.
> > glycogen as a carrier.  What does this do for the pptn of the DNA?  Is it
> > really necessary or will the pptn work without it?
>
> The 1ul is probably 1ul of a 20mg/ml solution (i.e. 20ug). Glycogen in
ethanol
> precipitates much like DNA and at this amount forms a visible pellet.
The glycogen
> precipitate also likely traps the DNA in solution as well. The advantage of
> glycogen is that it will not affect subsequent reactions.
>
> Colin

However our automated sequencing guys tell me that glycogen messes up
their specs when they try to quantitate the DNA. Does anyone know aneasy
way to get rid of it again? Apart from that it works a treat for me.

--
John Dixon                                        Lab 44 (1223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute                            Fax 44 (1223) 334134
United Kingdom                           e-m: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk