PCR in Nepal

WSchick at aol.com WSchick at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 02:37:50 EST 1996

In a message dated 96-03-27 00:12:06 EST, horto005 at maroon.tc.umn.edu (Bob
Horton) writes:

>1) What particular kind of thermal cycler might be suitable for use in
Nepal,
>> i.e. a robust one, not susceptible to extremes of temperature fluctuation,
>> voltage changes etc.?

MJ Research had an ad about one of their cyclers that travelled the Pacific
looking for illegal whale meat? and I think it even went on a boat with
battery power.  Ask them for reprints of their story

Idaho Technology would be hard to beat.  It only requires a few hundred watts
(no cooling or refrigeration system--it uses air temperature)  The
high-intensity lamp cycles based on a thermoprobe, so if voltage is low or
hgh, would cycle less or more depending on need.

Another advantage is low cost of reagents--it can use 5 or 10ul total
reaction volume.

Finally, the cost.of you getting there may certainly be higher than that of
the local techs.  With a total time of 10 (ten!) minutes for 30 cycles (10ul
sample) you can prepare several hundred reactions in a short time.  Your
elapsed time of experimentation can be cut considerably      Cointact
kirk at idahotec.com regarding the range of voltage conditions and electronics
stability that the Rapid Cycler can handle.

Walt Schick