Looking for a histochemical ATPase protocol...

H.Hoppeler hoppeler at ana.unibe.ch
Tue Mar 26 08:30:07 EST 1996

In article <1N2UxcUox8AO089yn at westnet.com>, jtardiff at westnet.com says...

>Hi all,
>
> I know this isn't mol-bio related per se, but I thought someone might
> be able to lend a hand. I'm planning on doing some straightforward
> ATPase staining on some muscle sections. This protocol is commonly used
> to distinguish (at the very least) fast and slow muscle fibers based
> on the different labilities of the actinomyosin ATPase in alkaline and
> acid pH using unfixed frozen sections. No papers that I have
> read give straightforward protocols..today I found myself wading
through
> papers from before I was born (and I'm not *that* young).
>
> Any and all pointers/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> thanks,
>
>  Jil Tardiff
>  jtardiff at westnet.com
>
>  Albert Einstein College of Medicine and
>  The Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center
>  NYC, NY

Hi Jil,

ATPase stainings on human cryosections are a quite routine work in our
lab. We essentially still use the following method:

Brooke, M.H. & Keiser, K.K. Muscle fiber types: How many and what kind?
Arch. Neurol. 23, 369-79.

If you need more detailed protocol, please mail.

Good luck
Adrian Puntschart
adipu at ana.unibe.ch