Repetitive Northern Hybridization

Gabriel Romero ez008413 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu
Wed Mar 27 13:41:50 EST 1996

I am surveying the expression of several genes in a number of plant
tissues using radioactive Northern analysis.  I got negative results for
the first gene. RNA is still on the nylon membrane based on methylene blue
staining. Probe was indeed labeled because there was signal on the
homologus DNA target. Since no probe bound to the RNA lanes in
the first hybridization, do I need to strip the blot or can I directly
hybridize it with the next gene probe without stripping and prehybrizing?
If the latter is practical, and I still get negative results with each
new gene, how
many times can I hybridize the blot with new probes without stripping?

Thanks for any advice.

Gabby Romero
goromero at ucdavis.edu