Getting cells off plates

simon sbe at biochem.usyd.edu.au
Thu Mar 28 18:20:44 EST 1996

Pearse Ward wrote:

[snip]
> I'd be interested in other people's favourite recipies for >non-enzymatic dissociation of cells.
[snip]

We find that "half-strength" PBS/EDTA (5mM phosphate, 75mM NaCl, 5 mM
EDTA, pH 7.4) works well for HeLa and MCF-7. We just pour off the TCS,
add a few ml of half-strength PBS/EDTA, put the flask/tray back into
the incubator for a few minutes, and then "squirt" the cells off the
container wall using a tissue culture pipette. They can then be spun
down and re-suspended in fresh medium/whatever.

Cheers

Simon
Dr Simon B Easterbrook-Smith    Phone: (+) 612 351 3905
Department of Biochemistry      FAX: (+) 612 351 4726
University of Sydney            Email: sbe at biochem.usyd.edu.au
Sydney NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA