Re- pZErO

Steven Goldberg goldberg at bms.com
Thu Mar 28 11:16:26 EST 1996

In article <n1384204200.40543 at msmtp.idde.saci.org>,
brett_beitzel at MSMTP.IDDE.SACI.ORG ("Brett Beitzel") wrote:

> Subject:Re: pZErO                                  Date: 3/27/96
>
> I have used pZErO-1, which has zeocin (Invitrogen's own antibiotic)
> resistance.  The vector gives very low background, as promised, but zeocin is
> crap!  It is salt sensitive and light sensitive, and it only lasts about 1
> week at 4 degrees.  In other words, its a pain in the ass to work with.
> Their pZErO-2 (Kan resistance) might be better.
>
> Brett Beitzel
> brett_beitzel at msmtp.idde.saci.org
> Cancer Therapy and Research Center
> San Antonio, TX

I haven't had any problems using Zeocin.  I keep the concentrated solution
at -20 degrees.  I have used agar plates containing Zeocin and stored at 4
degrees (in the dark) for over a month with no apparent loss in
effectiveness.  By the way, although the pZeroI manual suggests using
Zeocin at 50 ug/ml, an Invitrogen representative said that 25 ug/ml is
plenty if you're using E. coli. I've used the lower concentration without
any problems with background.

It sure beats alkaline phosphatase!

Steve