Virtual Reality in SYBR Space

Wayne Coco ifao at po.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Mar 29 08:03:28 EST 1996

Dear netters,

Several newsgroup articles on SYBR Green I (see below for references) indicated that the dye
binds tightly to DNA Some articles questioned (or caused me to question) the utility of the dye for preparative
gel applications. I was thus pleased to learn that Gregory Buzard can reamplify DNA from SYBR Green I
stained bands. Are concerns for the use of SYBRed DNA in downstream manipulations invalid (hence the painful
subject heading)?

Specifically, does anyone have warnings, experience or tips for:

The reamplification of SYBRed DNA?
Its restriction digestion or cloning (e.g.: might clones from SYBRed DNA have an
  increase in mutations over those from EtBr stained DNA?)
The removal of the dye from DNA (see below)?
Its characteristics in DNA-protein binding assays.

Thanks,
Wayne

Here are some references:

Several article on the subject can be found in the following summary: