Peptide Nucleic Acids (PNA)

Mick Jones mjones at
Fri Mar 29 08:46:32 EST 1996

Hi netters

I was wondering about the commercial availability of reagents for the chemical
synthesis of PNAs (peptide or protein nucleic acids).  These analogues
(apparently) bind more tightly to DNA strands than a complemantary

PNAs are nucleic acid analogues in which the phospho-sugar backbone is replaced by
a peptide linkage maintaining the correct stereo-chemical base spacing as in
natural DNA.

We are consideing synthesizing our own PNA sequences and would be very grateful if
anybody could provide advice, where to buy the reagents and their cost, and how
difficult it is to do, etc.  Anything really.

Thanks in advance.

Mick Jones

Mick Jones                      Tel: 081-740-3328 (+44-81-740-3328)
Department of Virology          FAX: 081-743-8331 (+44-81-743-8331)
RPMS,  Du Cane Road              Email: mjones at
London,  W12 0NN,  UK          URL:
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."   Ace Rimmer (Red Dwarf)
"Crackin' toast, Gromit."    Wallace (The Wrong Trousers)