glycogen as a carrier

Simon Dawson Simon.Dawson at
Thu Mar 28 07:55:12 EST 1996

Ari Kahn wrote:
> I found a protocol for extracting DNA from low melting agarose at
>  In step 6 it asks for 1 ul.
> glycogen as a carrier.  What does this do for the pptn of the DNA?  Is it
> really necessary or will the pptn work without it?

Well, unless I'm mistaken, the only thing the glycogen does is act as a
carrier molecule to facillitate the efficient precipitation of your DNA.
Carrier molecules make a significant difference if the concentration of your
DNA is fairly low.

Dr. Simon Dawson       TEL:+44 (0)115 9249924 ex. 44787
Dept. of Biochemistry  FAX:+44 (0)115 9422225
Queens Medical Centre  Email:Simon.Dawson at
Clifton Boulevard
U.K.                   "Back off man, I'm a scientist!" - Bill Murray.