-20oC storage of bacterial stocks?

Adrian.Philbey at SMTPGWY.AGRIC.NSW.GOV.AU Adrian.Philbey at SMTPGWY.AGRIC.NSW.GOV.AU
Tue May 21 22:39:19 EST 1996

          Julian Catmul (julian.catmull at jcu.edu.au) asked about
          storage of glycerol stocks of bacteria at -20oC:

          >We were wondering if anyone has stored glycerol stocks of
          >bacteria at -20oC for extended periods of time

          A person who worked in the same laboratory in Glasgow used
          to store bacterial stocks in glycerol at -20oC routinely and
          for relatively long periods of time. I think the storage
          medium was the same as for storage at -80oC. I do not know
          if there were any problems or whether the viability of the
          stocks decreased at a greater rate at -20oC than at -80oC.

          Adrian W Philbey
          Veterinary Research Officer
          Elizabeth Macarthur Agricultural Institute
          Private Mail Bag 8
          Camden  NSW  2570
          Australia

          Telephone: 61-46-293332