Source for Nonidet P-40 (was: Cell Lysing Detergent)

Jenni jaf at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 5 20:00:45 EST 1996

Darren Tyson wrote:

 I have a DNA extraction method that calls for Nonidet P-40 as the lysing
agent.  However, I cannot find a source in Fisher, Sigma, or Pharmacia.
Does anyone have a source or catalog number for this detergent.

> Sigma sells a chemically indistinguishable substitute, IGEPAL CA-630.
> Catalog number I 3021
>
> Darren -
We regularly use NP-40 as a detergent in making extracts from cells and
in our hands substituting Triton X100 didn't work. ICN and BDH still sell
NP40 though.