Cell Lysing Detergent

slavemaster z un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 5 09:50:14 EST 1996

In article <327E2B67.65C9 at bms.com>, watson_j at bms.com says...

>Rick Bright wrote:
>> Also, is there a particular reason why one would use Nonidet P-40 over
>> SDS or Triton X-100 for lysing blood cells?  Are there particular
>> applications where one agent is better than others, or are do they serve
>> the purpose equally well for all applications?
>
>We used to use NP-40 as the lysis agent when we wanted to dissolve the plasma
>membrane but leave nuclear membrane intact.  A couple of examples were when
>making total cytoplasmic RNA and when preparing nuclear extracts for gel
>mobility shift assay.

I thought most NP-40 and Tween-20 and obscure substances like that have indeed
been replaced by Triton X-100. I remember wanting to order NP-40 a few years
back, as I added this stuff to my PCRs: a sales representative of the company that
actually has patents on these things (don't ask me the name, I forgot) told me NP-40
and Tween are now replaced by Triton X-100.

and it works just as well.