BL21(DE3) pLYSe/s competent cells

Rico Laage rico.laage at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Nov 6 04:48:41 EST 1996

Dr. Duncan Clark wrote:

Rico

> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone had any hassle making electrocompetent cells of the above.
> Thawing from -70C lyses our supposed electrocompetent stocks. I know
> they carry T7 lysozyme but I wasn't aware they were that sensitive to
> one freeze thaw. I'm now going to make ordinary competent cells and use
> them immediately but would like any comments.
>
> Duncan
in my opinion it is better to use 7% DMSO than using 20% glycerol I use
the protocol of Inoue et al (but growing the bugs at RT)  gives good
competence

Rico

 Neurobiology                                                 Voice  +49
(6221) 54-4863
 Uni Heidelberg
Fax                          54-4496
 Im Neuenheimer Feld