Bovine Serum Albumin in PCR

Michael Kertesz kertesz at micro.biol.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 8 12:12:59 EST 1996

jenova at aol.com wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the purpose of bovine serum albumin in the PCR
> reaction could be? This reagent is listed in published paper on genotyping
> of Clostridium difficile. Also, how much of this reagent should I add to
> the PCR reaction mixture?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jenny Williams
> Southampton PHLS

BSA is good for sopping up all kinds of junk and trace impurities. I use
it routinely in all my restrictions and ligations for this reason.
Presumably it's in the PCR reaction for the same reason.

By the way, a recent paper showed that serum albumins also work better
than catalytic antibodies at the reactions that the CA's were designed to
do. BSA can do (almost) anything....

regards

Michael Kertesz

ETH-Microbiology,