Bovine Serum Albumin in PCR

Michael Kertesz kertesz at
Fri Nov 8 12:12:59 EST 1996

jenova at wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the purpose of bovine serum albumin in the PCR
> reaction could be? This reagent is listed in published paper on genotyping
> of Clostridium difficile. Also, how much of this reagent should I add to
> the PCR reaction mixture?
> Thanks in advance.
> Jenny Williams
> Southampton PHLS

BSA is good for sopping up all kinds of junk and trace impurities. I use
it routinely in all my restrictions and ligations for this reason.
Presumably it's in the PCR reaction for the same reason.

By the way, a recent paper showed that serum albumins also work better
than catalytic antibodies at the reactions that the CA's were designed to
do. BSA can do (almost) anything....

Michael Kertesz

CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland

tel: +41-1-632 3357